How To Fix The Starlink Disconnected Error

The “Starlink Disconnected” error message is the most common issue that people have when first setting up their dish. It also occurs frequently for people who have recently moved or adjusted the dish.

If you are getting the dreaded “Disconnected” error when trying to set up your Starlink system, this article is designed to help. There is a quick video on one of the most common solutions below. I also suggest you read over the rest of the article to learn about some other causes and solutions.

What causes the “Starlink Disconnected” error?

The most common cause of the error is a loose or disconnected cable. Most commonly, this occurs on the Starlink dish side of the system. A damaged cable or dish can also cause the error.

When the app is saying “Starlink Disconnected”, it means that there is no communication between the router and the dish.

Most people have the newer rectangular dish. If you have the older circular dish, you can still get this error message. The connectors on the round dish are different, and not as prone to being loose or unplugged. But a bad cable, dish, or power supply can cause this message.

How to fix it

The first thing to check is the Starlink cable connections on both ends. There is a connector that plugs into the dish mast. There is also a connector on the router.

The connector on the dish is the most common source of issues. You’ll want to ensure that the connector is fully seated up into the mast, and isn’t dirty or damaged. The cable should be flush, as shown in the video above, and in this picture:

If the cable isn’t completely flush with the mast, you’ll need to reseat it. Don’t force it, or you could damage the connector. I’ve found that trying to apply different angles to the connector helps to seat it properly. Once the plug is aligned, it should connect into place easily. Again, don’t force it!

Another tip: Take a small piece of paper and fold it 2 or 3 times. Slide it in underneath the connector. The paper helps to prop up the connector a bit as it slides into place. This can help properly align the connector.

Also check the cable connection on the router. Unplug the connector completely and check for damage. Then reinsert. It should seat solidly into place, without any wiggle or gaps between the connector housing and the router.

Additional troubleshooting steps

If you’ve checked the cable and connectors and the “Starlink Disconnected” error persists, try to power cycle the system. Do this by unplugging the router. Leave it for several minutes, and then plug it back in.

Another thing to check – does the dish stay in the stowed position (vertical) or does it move and point up towards the sky? Upon powering up, the dish should point up to find satellites. If your dish never moves, it isn’t receiving power/data or is defective.

Contact support

Still getting the error? Don’t worry! Your dish is most likely under warranty. Starlink will help you obtain a new cable, router, or dish depending on what they find.

To contact Starlink, you’ll need to log in to your account on the website or app, and find the Support section in the menu. From there, you can create an online support ticket requesting help by clicking the thumbs down icon on the help section most relevant to your issue.

To see more about how to contact Starlink, check out our how to guide.

Conclusion

If you are getting the “Starlink Disconnected” error, you’ll want to check the cable and cable connections on both ends. The connection on the dish is the most common cause of this error.

If the cable looks good, it could be a faulty dish or router. At this point, you’ll want to contact Starlink to request help, as this issue should be covered by your warranty.

Want the latest Starlink news and info, right in your inbox? Join our newsletter!

Notify of
guest

28 Comments
Newest
Oldest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
Bill Rose
Bill Rose
2 hours ago

Thanks for these instructions. I re-seated my equipment many times and finally noticed that the cable going into the mast was kind of loose. It was moving down about 1/16” and causing network issues with the Ethernet adapter on the other end of the cable. My fix was to use weatherproof tape to hold the cable in place. Before doing this the Starlink router would provide Wi-Fi just fine but Ethernet would work for a few hours then stop giving an ip address.

I still find it amazing that Starlink hardware for these critical outdoor cable connections are not more secure.

Simo
Simo
2 minutes ago
Reply to  Noah Clarke

I just did the tape on a brand new cable Starlik sent it to me 3 days ago. Router is also new ( refurbished) and the dish didn’t move at all. Multiple resets , restarts , nothing. My dish worked flawlessly from June 2022 till 21 of march 2023. Any other solutions? Please help!

Larry Higgins
Larry Higgins
5 days ago

I have been waiting 11 days for a response nothing it’s also less then a momth old

Buzz
Buzz
17 days ago

I just got the disconnect error on my 3 month old mobile system. All the connections are good. The thing I have noticed is that blue light is on and when it is running properly the the unit uses approximately 36 watts. Now am I am only using about 5 watts of power and and get the disconnect error. I believe this is a router issue. I have created a ticket. It sounds like from reading all the comments below I could be in for a long wait. Any advice.

Amanda
Amanda
18 days ago

7 weeks without service!
Says disconnected.
I have put in almost 20 tickets.
I purchased a router and cable, it took them 3 weeks to arrive, didn’t work.
Then Starlink sent me a new router and cable and those didn’t…
I just need a new dish!!

Nels
Nels
28 days ago

I’m over a week this disconnect error and zero response from starlink issue ticket. Cable has no visible damage, fully seated on both ends. Had internet in the morning, that afternoon-nothing. Very frustrated with Starlink customer service. Just flat out zero response for 9 days now.

BLZ
BLZ
22 days ago
Reply to  Nels

Same here … I’m at 14 days no service, no customer support… Complete shit!!!

Daniel (Jaws4God)
Daniel (Jaws4God)
21 days ago
Reply to  BLZ

Same here.. put ticket in on Jan 7 2023 and on the 16th only the original generic message to check cables.. wish we had a number, or chat to speed up this process.

Larry Higgins
Larry Higgins
5 days ago
Reply to  Nels

I’m going through the same thing

KBbbb
KBbbb
30 days ago

Starlik works properly until august in many weathers rain, snow, all conditions until few days ago. At first there was a problem with connection we thought that was a Ethernet extender failure. They send us new one, after reboot starlik wors 6-8 h on wi-fi and there were more and more ON/OFF line failures. We checked antena on roof 2 times and nothing. They send us router and cable replacement. Im hope that is a router … what are you thinking about?

Caitlin
Caitlin
1 month ago

This seems to be the problem with our service! But it hasn’t worked from day 1…we paid to have someone do the installation for us up on our roof and he told us that the first day might be spotty due to a snowstorm. Well it never improved and only got worse in the last week.

We ordered a new router and cable, covered under the warranty…god know when it’s being delivered…Worst of all I work from home so this completely ruins my ability to work! Really disappointed with Starlink so far that new hardware is faulty out of the box.

Daniel
Daniel
1 month ago

We’ve had Starlink now for about six months. It’s worked fine. Until now. We get that disconnected message, and of course, no service. We went through the service process and got a message that Starlink would send us a new (refurbished) router and cable. The router came in about 5 days. I plugged it in and it still gave me the disconnected message. So I guess it’s the cable. Which hasn’t shipped yet. So how long will I be without service? This is all very frustrating as I’m paying for Starlink, streaming services, etc. Anyone else had this problem?

Brian
Brian
1 month ago
Reply to  Daniel

8 days ago, disconnected error, we have been fine for a year. Contacted Starlink, but they will not respond for over a week. I have a light on the router, and ordered 2 new cables, but still nothing, dish will not move. Support is worthless, no way to contact besides in app. They continue to ignore. If I had any other option I would take it. If I could buy a new dish I would, but cannot.

Pansy
Pansy
1 month ago
Reply to  Daniel

I have this for 5 months now and same issue I email them but no return this is very frustrating I have no other method of internet or phone service, I have a new cable order but no shipping info oh my 😞

Tom
Tom
1 month ago
Reply to  Pansy

Has anyone’s new cable resolved the issue? I’m thinking it’s a damaged dish caused by weather. Having same problems – worked fine for months, then intermittent and now nothing. Frustrating to say the least.

S. Shook
S. Shook
22 days ago
Reply to  Tom

I have received two new cables and a router under warranty. Installed new cable on a Saturday with new router and no service. Installed the old router with the new cable and had service for about 12 hours till I got the cable disconnected warning. I’m convinced the issue is the dish. Bad port and/or faulty modem in dish.

Tom
Tom
21 days ago
Reply to  S. Shook

At least you have had a response! No service for over 2 weeks and various “tickets” are met with the “thank you for your continued patience” drivel and “we notice you have multiple tickets so have closed this one”. I’m infuriated beyond words.

I have ended up getting a monthly rolling data only sim and a second hand unlocked HUAWEI router and I’m getting decent service.

Simo
Simo
1 hour ago
Reply to  Tom

I have the same issue. My service stopped workin on January 21, 2023. Before that the dish / service worked flawlessly. I went through all the support and they sent me new( refurbished) cable and router after 3 weeks almost. I did install the new cable and router but my dish didn’t move , not even a bit. So, I’m thinking that there issue is not in the cable or router is the dish itself. And after I’m reading countless of reviews and issues same as mine I think this is starlink issue that they are not announcing. My set is still in warranty and I’m waiting for replacement but nobody has replied to me. My ticket is still open , no response, nothing!

Eric Blais
Eric Blais
3 months ago

Thank you so much. This was my issue and it was driving me crazy for 24 hours

Christy
Christy
4 months ago

Frustrating that a brand new cord and unit is having this issue. And when I try to start a support ticket with the thumbs down the app crashes.

Brian Halbert
Brian Halbert
1 month ago
Reply to  Noah Clarke

After 6 months suddenly no signal, disconnected, .1mb download. Except, when I have connection it’s 50-120mb. Starlink is shipping replacement router. Wondering if recent system changes are to blame rather than a cable the is in like new condition. Without reliable connection updates to routers would be a problem. Replacement routers is a long slow process to get updates out.