Here Is What Starlink Internet Costs In 2024

Starlink is a satellite internet service operated by Elon Musk’s SpaceX company. Starlink has over 2 million subscribers globally, and is expanding rapidly in new markets, as the satellite deployment continues.

In this article, I will go over the most recent Starlink pricing for 2024, in the US market. I will cover the hardware costs, the monthly service fee, and break down the different service plans.

The most common Starlink service plan is the home internet package, called Standard (aka Residential). Starlink Residential costs $120/month, with a one-time hardware cost of $599.

There are no contracts, so you can cancel your service at any time. Starlink offers a 30 day return period.

Other Starlink Plans

In addition to Standard, Starlink offers other types of plans for fixed and mobile applications. Here is what they cost in 2024:

Starlink Roam (Mobile): Starting at $150 per month, $599 for the hardware.

Starlink Business (Priority): Starting at $140 per month, $2,500 for the hardware.

Maritime/Mobility (Mobile Priority): Starting at $250 per month, $2,500 for the hardware.

For more detail on all the Starlink plan options, check out our guide, Starlink Internet Plans Explained.

Optional Hardware Costs

Residential and Roam customers have the option to upgrade from the Standard Starlink hardware, to higher performance models. For example, the high-end Flat High Performance hardware costs $2,500. The Flat High Performance dish can be used in-motion when using Mobile Priority data.

If you would like more information on the differences in the hardware options, check out our article on the Standard vs High Performance dish. For more detail on Mobile Priority data and the other types of Starlink data, click here for our full guide.

If your address is in a waitlisted area, where either capacity is limited, or Starlink hasn’t obtained regulatory approval yet, you won’t be able to place a full order. Instead, you can pay $99 to reserve a spot on the waitlist.

When capacity expands in your area, orders will be given on a first-come, first-serve basis for pre-order customers.

Conclusion

In 2024, Starlink prices have gone up to $120 per month, with a one-time hardware cost of $599. Starlink remains the only available high speed, low latency satellite internet service for US customers. I think the target Starlink market, which is underserved rural customers, will happily accept the costs in exchange for finally getting access to high speed broadband internet.

The latest Starlink news, reviews, tutorials, and much more!

103 thoughts on “Here Is What Starlink Internet Costs In 2024”

1. Can you move the starlink weekly from place to place?

I want to offer my clients this internet option. My clients are primarily short-period, mission-oriented, abroad delegations.

Would this be an option for me? Or moving this thing around can cause complications?

• Yes, sounds like you would need Starlink RV. It’s designed to be portable. You would be restricted to using it within the same continent as the shipping address, and you can’t use it for more than 2 months in the same place (if that place is in a different country than the shipping address).

2. Hi, do you know if starlink allows you to make payments on the equipment costs, or is the balance all due on your 1st bill? Their map says it will be in my area in 2023, here in Louisiana.

3. Hi,
    thank you for all the information. I have one more question: I read that Starlink and the router consume some energy while using it. As far as I read, it is 50Watt. Does it make sense to disconnect the router at night and restart it again in the morning? It would save about 1/3 of the energy costs. But I do not know., if that is good for the router. Usually routers are not built for switching tham on and off, I think.

4. I am looking at Starlink business for our small campground. But I cannot find anywhere how far the range is? Would I need more than one kit for 3 acres for example? It is all unobstructed view to the sky.

• The kit just comes with one Wifi router. Really not enough range to cover more than a small house. What I would recommend is hiring an IT company to wire up access points throughout the property. These access points would be wired into a switch, and your Business starlink would also be plugged into the switch. You can either have the Starlink router handle routing and DHCP, or you can use a 3rd party router (seek advice from the IT firm). With this solution, you’ll have reliable coverage throughout the property.

5. I have a business but in reality it is one perhaps two laptops trying to access the internet. Can I buy the residential option, I really don’t need more and the cost of the full business (up to 20 users) would be prohibitive

• While technically that would go against the Starlink terms of service, this is what most small businesses are doing. The cost of the Business tier is too much for most. And the small operations aren’t really what Starlink is worried about when they write those terms of service. It’s worth a shot to see if it works for your business!

6. I just ordered my kit and am wondering how do I know I ordered the right one. I ordered the kit for RV usage but nothing in the email order detail reads “RV”?

• Log in to your account on the website. It will show you which account type you have. If you accidentally ordered Residential, the good news is that you can convert to RV. You cannot switch RV to Residential, though.

7. They some what over charge for the first month at least that was my experience. We we’re billed for the first month when we paid for the unit then we’re billed again 13 days later. A lie on prepaid for the first month. Just be aware that the cost is more then you think as your billed immediately for the ‘first’ month even though it was paid.

• You aren’t charged for the first months service until about 15 days after the kit ships. On the order page, it shows you the service price, but that isn’t actually included in what you pay up-front. The up-front cost is the hardware $599, shipping $50, and tax, around $50 depending on where you live.

8. One of my customers, a school, had a lot of troubles with their ISP. They switched already (only two available in the area) but there still happen to be outages here and there and poor quality of service and support.
    I’ve been willing for a while to offer them to try Starlink, at least as a backup line, but their IT director has been hesitant.
    A school would fall under the ‘business’ category, right ?
    If it was doable as residential that could be easy to sell. Business, not sure they can really afford to pay that.

• Yes, a school would fall under the Business category from what I understand. The Starlink terms of service say that any commercial or government operation would need the Business tier.

9. After waiting several years since deposit, we received and installed the equipment last week.

At the moment, we do not have complete unobstructed view of the sky but signal is about 10 times faster than our ATT broadband high speed internet service.

To have unobstructed view of the sky, I’d have to mount the antenna on the roof and I really don’t want to do that. I’ve been told there is a telescoping pole extension available.

I’d like to carry the antenna and router with us while we RV the country for about 3 months. Can that be done and is there an available and maybe shorter cable for sale? I have outfitted our truck camper with lithium batteries and inverter. Thanks for any advice…

10. I live about 15 miles West of Gunnison, CO at about 8,300 ft in the mountains. Just received my Starlink kit yesterday and have been using it for less than 24 hours. When I first set it up, I was getting about 115Mbps download speed and roughly 10Mbps upload speed. Of course, the server site you choose for the bandwidth testing has everything to do with the test speeds; so, choose multiple locations to get a better idea of bandwidth.

Yesterday, the self-moving satellite disk pointed straight up. This morning, the dish was pointed just above the mountains to the North, and I was getting only about 25Mbps down, which is what I have with a microwave ISP now. About 10:30am MDT, I started getting 160Mbps down which is where I am now. Since the satellites are moving, it makes sense the bandwidth is changing, but I don’t see any such documentation about this anywhere on the Starlink site.

• The dish actually won’t move much at all in normal operation, once it has properly aligned itself. The antenna is phased-array, so it doesn’t have to physically move much to track the satellites as they move across the sky. There are so many satellites in orbit that the signal just hands off to another one when the current one moves out of range.

Speed differences are much more of an effect of network congestion. Test at 8pm and you’ll usually have much slower speeds than at 3am, for example.

11. How many GB do you get for the monthly fee? Hughesnet is 20GB and then you are either turtle slow or buy more usage. 20 GB does not last that long.

• Starlink will support their wireless router and configuration that comes with the kit. If you have advanced networking requirements using 3rd party equipment, you’ll have to figure all that out.

• Officially, no. However, users have reported that with a recent firmware update they have been able to “roam” outside of their service address and use Starlink. So theoretically, yes you could use it on a camper. It’s one of those things you will have to try at your own risk, and the feature isn’t guaranteed to stick around even if it works for you now. If you aren’t going to use Starlink at your home, we don’t recommend trying to buy it just for a camper. It’s too expensive for the occasional camper trip. If you live in your camper, it might be a good option if high speed internet is required, although it’s risky as noted above.

12. Yes the $99 is a deposit so when your order is converted to a full order, you’ll owe the balance of about $400 + taxes and shipping. You’ll start paying the monthly service fee when you plug in the dish and activate the service.

• I recently upgraded to the rv. I had originally paid $99 deposit. After upgrading, was charged the full $599 plus shipping and taxes. Will the $99 be refunded or deducted from my bill? As of now, I have not been credited.

• RV and Residential are separate. The $99 deposit is a pre-order for Residential service. If you bought RV service, that wouldn’t affect your pre-order for Residential. You have to log on to your Starlink.com account and cancel the Residential pre-order to get the $99 back.

13. They sure don’t make it easy to find information on their site once you’re logged in. Put my deposit down last year & still waiting.

When you put the $99 deposit down… do they subtract that from the kit price of $499? Or is that for the first month’s service?

14. Just received my Starlink Saturday,2/12/22. It is awesome! Currently raining,and cloudy,and my download speed is 42.99,and upload is 7.74. My previous internet was through my phone company,(only service available at my house,) it was horrible, I was lucky to get dl of 1.28, and ul over 1! Cell service was even worse. We had to shut wifi off to phones to “try” to stream anything,and everything had to be hardwired. Now we can use everything,all at the same time! No more waiting until the middle of the night to try to stream,or do anything online!!

15. We’re on the list, 6 months now. We have a neighbor who is on Starlink. Can we get out now? Obviously the satellite is in the area.

• There is limited availability within each service cell. Basically, each area can only handle a certain number of users at the same time. Availability will increase as more satellites are added. Unfortunately it’s a slow process and the demand for the service far exceeds the current capabilities of the system.

16. Have a remote cabin in Saguache Colorado. Wondering if this is a covered area yet or when it may be covered?
    How do you get on a wait list?

• Sometimes the address is a bit different than what you normally use. For example, my address might be 1234 Starlink Road. But the database Starlink is pulling from has it listed as 1234 South Starlink Road or something. Just make sure you are typing it in completely and correctly. You can try to type out road, street, etc. or type out the north, south, etc.

• My second question is, if it is possible to buy the equipment from malawi…can I buy starlink internet hardware through someone else or just direct from where you provide it?
            and how can I pay it, how long does it take to come since the time I ordered?

• You can buy directly from Starlink if service is available in your country. There are also 3rd party sellers that offer kits. Payment and shipping is all dependent on where you buy it from, you will have to check with either Starlink or the 3rd party retailer for those details.