How Long Is The Waitlist For Starlink?

Starlink, the satellite internet service from Elon Musk’s SpaceX company, has been operational for nearly two years now. Demand for the service continues to exceed the capacity that the satellite dish constellation can handle.

Many people trying to get Starlink will end up on the dreaded waitlist. The Starlink waitlist is where all the pre-order customers have to wait until capacity is expanded in the area they live. If you have an address that isn’t available yet, you can put down a $99 deposit to reserve a spot in line.

Orders are filled on a first come, first served basis. However, capacity is determined in very small service areas called cells. It’s completely possible for a house a mile down the road to get their order before you, even if you’ve been waiting longer.

In this article, we will explore how long the waitlist is for Starlink. We will also show you how to estimate how long you will wait. Finally, we’ll explain how it might be possible for you to skip the wait entirely.

How many people are on the Starlink waitlist?

Globally, Starlink serves over 400,000 customers as of May 2022. That’s nearly double the amount of subscribers from just two months earlier in February 2022. What that exact subscriber count is today is not known, but it’s safe to say Starlink is well on its way to having a million subscribers at that pace.

As for how many people are on the Starlink waitlist, that number isn’t available. We can make an educated guess that it’s probably many times the amount of current customers. Back when Starlink first opened up orders for the public beta in early 2021, they quickly received over 500,000 orders.

How long is the wait for Starlink?

If you’ve checked for Starlink availability and aren’t able to place a full order, how long will you wait for Starlink? Thankfully, Starlink provides an ETA. Anyone can check how long the wait is for their area, regardless of whether they put in a pre-order.

How to check for order availability

To check how long you might be waiting to get your dish, first head over to the Starlink map tool on the Starlink website. Enter your address into the search box.

The map should zoom in to show you a closer view of your area. You can also just zoom in to any area on the map, without using the search box.

You’ll notice a few different color shades on the map. The map legend reveals that the lighter shade of blue is available now, while the slightly darker blue is a waitlisted area.

How to check Starlink wait times

If you tap or hover over an area that is on the waitlist, an estimated expansion date is displayed.

The estimated expansion date shown on the Starlink availability map is a very conservative estimate. If you pre-order, your account dashboard will provide a more accurate estimate. For example, the image above estimates “Expanding in 2023”, but your pre-order account may assign you a specific quarter or month in 2023.

See also: How To Find Out If Starlink Is Available In Your Area

Can you skip the Starlink waitlist?

If you are stuck waiting on Starlink to expand in your area, there are a couple ways to skip waiting and get Starlink right now.

Starlink RV

Starlink RV can be ordered by virtually anyone, with no waitlist. The RV service works anywhere with active Starlink coverage, which includes waitlisted areas.

What’s the catch? For starters, Starlink RV costs $135/month, which is $25 more than the normal Residential service. Also, RV users are deprioritized on the network. In times of heavy use and congestion, RV users will see their performance degrade well before Residential users.

Used Starlink

The second way to skip the waitlist is to buy a used Starlink kit. Sellers are able to transfer their dish to buyers by contacting Starlink. Many buyers are reporting that Starlink is able to transfer service to their address, even though it shows as waitlisted. This isn’t 100% guaranteed, but it may be worth a shot if you would rather have Residential over RV.

To see how the process works, check out our guide on How To Buy, Sell, And Transfer A Used Starlink.

For full details, see How To Skip The Starlink Waitlist.

Conclusion

How long you will wait on the Starlink waitlist depends on the capacity of the cell in which you live. Some customers wait weeks, others wait months. You can check to see if your address is waitlisted by using the Starlink availability map. The map also gives you an estimated wait time.

If you would like a more accurate estimated wait time, pre-order Starlink and then check your account dashboard. Starlink will assign you a quarter or month when your order date is close.

And if you can’t wait, there are a couple of options to skip the waitlist completely. Starlink RV is one way to completely avoid waiting for Starlink.

Want the latest Starlink news and info, right in your inbox? Join our newsletter!

Notify of
guest

18 Comments
Newest
Oldest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
Nataliia Rusakova
Nataliia Rusakova
1 month ago

I make an order for Starlink in Ukraine 24 of November, it took a deposit and I am waiting for complete my order for today, I don’t have bill yet for equipment, more than 6 weeks. So big company, so terrible situation in Ukraine. How long can I wait for this bill for equipment? Some people who took it from Spain for example take it now in Ukraine, and I wait because I make an order in Ukraine from official site . I believe that my children can educate with it internet.

Brad
Brad
1 month ago

I placed an order and was put on a waiting list and nowhere does it show and estimated delivery. Thoughts?

Carlos De Herrera
Carlos De Herrera
1 month ago

Here is my recent experience in an attempt to go around the Wait List. A person with equipment and an account wanted to sell me their equipment. The account holder contacted Star Link to transfer the system to me and get an account.
Star Link declined giving me an account even though I’m in an active area with a waiting list. Here in Upstate Idaho we were some of the first to get the systems during the Beta test period. The antennas are 4 miles from my location. Don’t buy any gear until Star Link has ok’d your new account and the seller must do that prior to sale.

Carla
Carla
2 months ago

I see the service is now available in Jamaica. I do not have a street address, how do I order the equipment?

Mark Simon
Mark Simon
2 months ago

I pre-ordered Residential when it was first offered years ago. I am still on wait-list in Kentucky.
I ordered, received and am using the RV since it was first offered.
When the Residential finally becomes available to my address, will they send me another unit or switch the RV account to a Residential account since I have all the equipment I actually already need? I don’t want 2 sets of equipment.

Art
Art
2 months ago

Two weeks ago I made an order, I was told “Deliveries typically take 2 – 3 weeks”,
but still there is no timeline in my account, no information.
I am not given an estimated time of arrival in my booking information.
Moreover, the price of the device was $385 and the monthly subscription fee was $60, now the price has changed – $700 and $75. Will I have to pay 700 instead of 385 and 75 instead of 60, or will I still have the old tariff???

Artur
Artur
1 month ago
Reply to  Noah Clarke

The order was confirmed, the price was changed .. I booked an order at a price of 375 bucks, paid a deposit a month ago, and now they demand 590 bucks from me with delivery .. although they promised free delivery and starlink for 375 bucks.
I have not been able to write to support for 4 days now, it gives the error “Something went wrong on our end. Please wait and then try again.” There is no answer anywhere, a complete ignore. Very disappointing.
I will have to refuse – I am not ready to pay almost 2 times more for a device that I booked a month ago.

Art
Art
1 month ago
Reply to  Noah Clarke

No, I will simply refuse and will not become a subscriber. Let me be tormented by the local Internet, but I will not encourage – false company policy! Worldwide, in all types of sales – if you have taken a deposit or prepayment, the amount of the order must be kept. The clause in the agreement is another loophole for deceiving customers and the possibility of not complying with honest sales rules. Consumer regulations around the world say so. Alas, Elon Max has always been a Great scammer and his company as well. I am offended that during the war in my camp, we are obliged to pay the highest price for equipment and subscription fees!

Bill
Bill
4 months ago

I purchase starlink in one location and then moved. I updated my address but am in an area waitlisted. How do I know I have joined the waitlist que at the new location?

geekrawker
geekrawker
4 months ago

Filled out the form for Starlink nearly 2 years ago. have not heard a peep from the company since. It honestly looks like they are only pushing it out to social influencers and rural projects they can use as promotion. Not impressed, already souring it for the majority of us who jumped on the list as soon as it was available.. they are definitely not going in order, rather hand-picking who they want to serve.

David Weyer
David Weyer
3 months ago
Reply to  geekrawker

…or if Ukraine needs it…then they can miracle that shit over there in moments. I’ve been waiting since mid-2021.